Friday, July 21, 2006

Where the Hell is Glenn Hollis?

OK, so my husband and I realized last night that our favorite late night radio show, "After Hours with Glenn Hollis," hasn't been on lately. In case you don't tune in to 97.1 Wash FM, or if you just won't admit to it, Glenn Hollis has the best dedications show. People generally call in, keep their comments short, Glenn will murmur his understandings and then either read a poem, play a song, or both. The really great thing is that it's local, and people really feel like they have a connection to him. He also hosts the Valentine's Day gala that Wash hosts every year.

Instead, they have been playing this "Delilah" crap, which is annoying for SO many reasons.
1) She goes by one name like she's Madonna, or Prince, or something. Come on, you're in RADIO.
2) She's syndicated, not local.
3) She carries out really long conversations with these callers. She might play 3 songs during the entire show. In the meantime, some yahoo from the trailor park is going on and on about how her daughter has moved in with an older man across the park with two illegitimate kids, and it's against god's plan, and she just doesn't know what to do about it.
3) Her song choice is utterly unpredictable and ridiculous. Like last night this woman called in about how great she thinks it is that her husband is going to medical school as a second career in his 30s. Then she plays "Love the Way You Love Me," a country song from like, 99/00 which has nothing to do with being proud, sacrificing, etc., but literally the way you love me. What?

So I did some research today and they CANNED GLENN HOLLIS. (click here for the link to a washingtonpost article about the firing). Apparently he has done this show here for 12 years and now he's gone for this syndicated Delilah bitch. What the hell? WASH FM, you are NOT the quality radio show I once thought you were. And to think I used to defend you when other people put you down...

Glenn, this message is for you (in case you ever google your own name)- I am still your fan and will never go to the Delilah Dark Side of After Hours. And no, I'm not a stalker.

23 comments:

Bart said...

Yet another reason I have abandoned broadcast radio. Crap like Delilah.

Anonymous said...

I am devistated that Glenn is off the air! I agree, Delilah just bores me and I end up turning her off after 2 minutes. Bring Glenn back to D.C!!

Anonymous said...

I want Glenn back too. Delilah sucks. How can we get Delilah fired? We should set up a boycott.

Anonymous said...

I grew up listening to Glen Hollis and I cannot believe that WASH FM has now replaced his beloved, local, charming show with nationally-syndicated Delilah crap. Not only are we missing out on his soothing voice, but music itself. If you want to get advice ask a friend, if you want to listen to music get REAL DJ's like Glen back. I don't know about you but I WILL NOT be turning the dial to 97.1 until Glen comes back!

DCTXn said...

Cheryl, I totally agree with you! I don't listen to WASH during the holidays, anyways with their terrible Christmas muzak 24/7. Lets start a boycott!

Anonymous said...

I also am tired of Delilah's longwinded preaching, mismatched song choices and advise she may or may not be qualified to give. WASH FM management fouled up big time with this piss poor decision. Glen was a class act and his soothing voice, song selections and occasional poetry readings were excellent company. Now my radio is off during the evening hours...

I'm sure Delilah is a wonderful person and she seems to care about those who call in, but she needs to listen more and talk less!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I have been made fun of for listening to 97.1 growing up. I'm 22 years old and found a great appreciation for Glen Hollis. I tuned in to 97.1 and heard this Delilah character... Wow - did they really change him for that?! I'm outraged. She talks and talks and talks. I feel SHE is the only one listening. Does anyone know how to even contact Glenn? I have started my boycott and stopped listening to 97.1 Wash FM.

Anonymous said...

I moved to Washington 9 years ago, and I have enjoyed listening to Glen's show from the first day! At the time that I moved here, Delilah was syndicated in my hometown, and I thought she was okay. But now that I've experienced Glen, I realize how much Delilah sucks. Unless 97.1 brings Glen back, can I suggest Channel 23 on XM (The Heart)? It plays TOTALLY Glen music without Delilah's terrible advice.

Anonymous said...

I SOO AGREE w/EVERYONE!!
BRING BACK GLEN!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad I finally found this page. I too miss Glenn. I had to endure Delilah when I visited my GF now my wife in Va Beach. She agreed with me that Glen had the better show. Delilah is too sappy and whinny. Glenn would get the callers to open up and tell a little more about their special someone. I regret that my wife and I did not get to go to one of the Valentine's Dances he hosted. Maybe Glenn can be reach via the Washington Post writer. I hope to hear him again on Satelite or some other station.

Anonymous said...

i very much agree with what's been said. delilah has nothing good to say to the people who call in. it hurts to hear someone with no credentials say things as though she is ruler of the world and knower of all. i once heard her compare a poor woman's husband who had an alcohol disorder, to that of a snake who came into a girl's home to have his head cut off. the unbalanced evidence from that story really hurt me and haven't since listened to afterhours, which is something i grew up to. it really hurts, and i'd really love to have glenn back. how can we make this happen??

thanks everyone,
Chriss.

Anonymous said...

Delilah is soooooooooo boring and to have to listen to her call-ins and their stories makes it even more boring. I stopped listening to her and WASH after I heard her for about 15 minutes. Glen was the best! I listened to him the past 10 years and totally enjoyed it to the very end. And the good news? Glenn has gone to "97.3, The Coast"- South Florida's Concert and Community Fun Site. You can listen to After Hours with Glenn Hollis on The Coast from the website. The bad news? The show airs from midnight to 5 am Monday through Friday. But if you are up late at night, its wonderful to hear him. WASH really screwed up this time.

Anonymous said...

I too miss Glenn's soothing voice, and caring manner.He was a gem. I'm glad he's found another station. I guess someone else recognizes his talent.

Mavis

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how old this is, but I just wanted to add that I haven't listened to after hours since that Delilah thang took over. I loved listening to Glenn, who really was interested in peoples problems and feelings. Delilah.....HA!

Anonymous said...

I know it's been a while but I still miss Glenn. I turn off the radio if it is accidentaly set to WASH when "Delilah" is on. She is awful.

Anonymous said...

Is there a petition thats been started to bring Glen back? Delilah is SO RANDOM and her songs are completely out there. Horrible. She needs to be canned. Now I don't even listen to AfterHours anymore.

Anonymous said...

no offense but you guys are pathetic..

instead of "where the hell is Glenn Hollis?" im asking "who the hell is Glenn Hollis?"

come on..

you guys are just wasting your time

go be productive or if you really care about this glenn person do something to get them back..

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand that Delialah Bitch, she is indeed so boring...bring back Glen Hollis...
Iggy

Unknown said...

Is this Delilah the same one on 94.9 MixFM in Tucson?

Anonymous said...

WHENEVER I HEAR DELILAH, IT REALLY MAKES ME WANNA GET IN THE TUB AND SLICE MY WRISTS. I WONDER IF SHE IS AS BORING IN BED AS SHE IS ON THE AIR....HMMMMMM

Anonymous said...

Glen Hollis is still technically on WASHFm. He does the Sunday Morning Jazz Brunch every Sunday, which puts me to sleep. I do miss him in the evenings.

Anonymous said...

BRING GLEN HOLLIS BACK!!

Moop said...

This thread is ancient, I know. But I loved After Hours with Glenn Hollis. It was a great show, he seemed like he actually gave a crap about what the callers where saying, unlike Delilah the Diva. Wonder what he's up to these days? hmm BTW, it's 2024 at the time of this post, and somehow, Diva Delilah is still on the radio, although I don't know how.
Unfortunately, there are very few airchecks of After Hours with Glenn Hollis online anywhere, I was hoping to get my mitts on some, for nostalgia's sake!
Moop E. Poom