Thursday, March 01, 2007

RANT: I AM Smarter Than a 5th Grader

So I watched that new show "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" last night and wanted to kill myself after someone who was definately brain damaged in some way won $100,000 for answering questions on the level of a 1st-3rd grader. She quit and took home her 100 grand after the following question- "How many decades are in two millenia?" I know that math involving numbers over ten is difficult, but come on. Seriously.

Here's a hint she's not too bright- she almost lost after the first question, which was "What star is closest to the Earth?" (1st grade level). My response: "Hint: it's bright and shiney and wakes you up every morning".

I know that they are not going to put people of at least even average intelligence on this show. Because what would be the fun of having normal people, who could answer basic questions like "how many states are there in the US?" wouldn't have any entertainment value. But I still don't think that someone who has a hard time identifying the sun should win $100,000.

I guess the real mystery of the whole thing is how Jeff Foxworthy is still employed and in the public eye. It is probably for the pure humiliation factor- If I could choose anyone to taunt my intelligence on national TV, it would definately not be Foxworthy, cause that's like having someone from the trailer park come over and criticize the job you did with the paving stones in your driveway.

3 comments:

Pagan Marbury said...

Oh my god, it was awful. I TiVo'd it because I thought it would be funny. Not funny. It DRAGGED on endlessly. They devoted like 5 minutes to each idiotic question. We turned it off after the one where she thought the Mexican border was longer than the Canadian border because "it's been in the news a lot."

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI. Game Show Pilots are, for the most part, fixed. All contestants are actors. If you are in the studio, they even re-film certain segments if the audience doesn't clap at the right time. Once it's picked up, then there will be real contestants, but I'm sure they will pick only the ones that are not very bright.

stacey said...

TiVo recorded it for us (unsolicited) and it was too painful to watch more than 10 minutes. All I saw was a law-school graduate win 10,000 for "cheating" 3 times an not managing to answer a SINGLE question correctly. I wanted to kill myself. How many hours do I work to earn $10,000?