Thursday, January 18, 2007

RANT: End of Passions

NBC, the wonderful network that has brought us such gems as "The Office," "My Name is Earl," and "Days of Our Lives" is bringing their popular daytime series "Passions" to an end this summer. While there may be many people out there who deny being a Passions fan, I am not one of them. I am not ashamed!

Passions started running when I was in college, and it was the first soap opera that I could actually get into such as: characters under the age of 50 who weren't rich socialities, people who actually worked at jobs (and didn't just talk about them), different races and ethnicities, and multi/mixed-racial couples.

Like a good soap opera, many of the same story lines that intrigued me during my college days are still in play: will Ethan and Teresa ever get together (also known as: can a Latina from the wrong side of the tracks teach a rich boy a thing or two about love? ) ; will the Crane empire come crashing down around their feet; will Kay and Miguel ever realize their love, or will that goodie two shoes Charity show up and ruin everything (again!)?

Farewell, Passions- maybe your ending is a sign of the times that the Passion-generation needs to also put aside childish things, like Timmy dolls, and grow up.

No comments: