Sunday, January 28, 2007

RANT: Petey Wheatstraw is NOT Dolemite

I was very excited this weekend because Netflix had finally sent a movie I have been eagerly awaiting to see- Dolemite, a classic blaxploitation cult film from 1975, starring and co-written by Rudy Ray Moore. Keep in mind I have never seen the movie, just heard about it. I was halfway through the movie before my husband says, "This cannot be Dolemite. They have not even mentioned Dolemite. And who is this Petey Wheatstraw character?"

Instead of sending us Dolemite, the Netflix people sent us Petey Wheatstraw (1977). I can understand the mistake- both starring Rudy Ray Moore, both blaxploitation, and Petey Wheatstraw (I learn from the DVD extras) is part of the "Dolemite Collection". Other movies that are part of the Dolemite Collection also include The Human Tornado and Disco Godfather. The Human Tornado apparently involves a Hamburger Pimp who kicks his own ass twice a day, so that's definately made it into my "must see" list.

While Petey Wheatstraw was very amusing, politically incorrect, great 70s costumes (lots of piping!) and an infectious theme song, I was more than a little disappointed that we didn't actually get Dolemite. But maybe this was fate's way of exposing me to the greater Dolemite collection.

"Petey Wheatstraw.... Petey Wheatstraw... the devil's son-in-law"

No comments: